Paint.NET is a trade off between the minimalist Microsoft Paint and the Extensive Photoshop. It is for those who want to tweak the images or satisfy their artistic ambitions without getting too much into graphics designing.
Where it scores over Microsoft paint
1. Has a host of built in effects.
2. You can crop an image, rotate it, resize, adjust colors, and create collages
3. Enables you to work in Layers
4. Has a Photoshop style “History” window which shows you past actions.
5. Has Magic Wand and Gradient tools
6. The Interface is simple and looks good with semi transparent windows.
7. A thumbnail viewer that shows up while editing multiple files.
1. Advanced users will still find it no where near being a substitute for giants like Photoshop
But considering that Paint.NET is a freeware, I am sure it will engender many fans
Bottom Line :
A worthy member of your Program Menu
Version: v3.10 (Final Release build 3.10.2791.35943)
OS Requirements: Windows XP/2003 Server/Vista
Other Requirements: .NET Framework 2.0
4 Dinos out of 5